While China is a relatively open society, it's always a good idea to know what kinds of things are prohibited there, especially those items that you might not think about while traveling within your own country. Here's a list of items you should not bring to China:
- Lots of electronics, you just don’t need them
- Physical books – too heavy
- Politically sensitive material
- Expensive jewelry, clothes, etc.
- Towel (they have them there)
- Illegal drugs (including marijuana)
- Too much clothing (leave empty space in your luggage for souvenirs to bring home!)
- Do not bring more than US$10,000 cash
There are also many other things you can't bring into China (weapons, plans, animals) - check the Chinese government website if you have any questions.