About David Soffer - Founder, Tour/Food Guide, Translator, & Tailor Made Clothing Expert
Fluent in Mandarin Chinese after living in China for 7 years, company founder David Soffer came up with the business concept when he returned back to the USA in 2014 and became dissatisfied with the high prices, lengthy shipping times, and alterations required of clothing for sale from existing online made-to-measure companies. After research revealed that most online made-to-measure companies were acting as a middleman and outsourcing their orders to tailors in China, Soffer decided to offer clients the chance to buy tailor made clothes direct from the source while offering them a fun vacation at the same time.
About the company
Tailor Made Shanghai was formally launched after a test of the concept proved successful in April 2017. The business operates as a travel company, and thus does not sell clothing nor make any commissions or fees on clients’ purchase of clothing or anything else during the trip. Bilingual tour guides are experts in the process of buying tailor made clothes and use their experience and expertise to provide assistance and translation for clients. The company has plans to expand this concept with trips to other cities in China and elsewhere in Asia in the coming years.
About the trip
Tailor Made Shanghai is the first (and currently) only company in the world to sell tours offering one-week sightseeing trips with a focus on assisting clients buy tailor made clothes, ready in 6 days for them to take home on their return flight. A few other items of note:
- In addition to tailor made clothes, clients also have the chance to purchase custom made shoes and prescription eyeglasses/sunglasses.
- Trips taken during April and October will let clients experience Shanghai Fashion Week.
- Clients will eat Chinese cuisine from 10 different regions of China during the trip.
- Accommodation for trip guests is at the 5-star Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden Hotel.
- Tour group sizes are from 5-15 people.
- See the itinerary here.
Tailor Made Shanghai currently offers 3 trips during the first half of 2018, and will offer more trips during the remainder of the year according to demand – clients can go here to learn more and reserve a spot.
- 10 Reasons Tailor Made Shanghai offers a better overall buying experience than typical online made-to-measure companies
- Table comparing primary buying experience differences between Tailor Made Shanghai and 6 typical online made-to-measure companies
- Table comparing clothes pricing differences between Tailor Made Shanghai and 6 typical online made-to-measure companies
For any client who submits their US$500 refundable deposit no later than December 31, 2017, while on the trip in Shanghai they will receive the following 5 items for free:
- 2 tailor made 2-piece suits/overcoats/dresses (standard fabric/design only)
- 3 tailor made shirts/blouses (standard fabric/design only)
Reservations can be made online here. The cost for the trip is US$1,995 per person. A US$500 refundable deposit is required to reserve a place on a trip.
Chat on any page (when available)